The Hawai‘i Department of Health (HDOH) is currently establishing a pre-registration process for all licensed (M.D. or D.O.) vaccination providers, who may be interested in administering novel H1N1 influenza (pandemic) vaccine this fall/winter. There will be no cost to pre-register as a provider.
Many critical details still remain unknown, such as when this vaccine will become available and how much will be produced. However, we are certain of the following details:
- The vaccine will be purchased by the federal government and provided to registered vaccination providers at no cost
- The federal government will also provide limited vaccination supplies (e.g. syringes, needles, alcohol swabs, and sharps containers) at no cost
- Therefore, the vaccine and supplies costs are free to patients
- The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has recommended that the initial groups targeted for novel H1N1 influenza vaccination include:
- Pregnant women
- Household and caregiver contacts of children aged younger than 6 months
- Health care and emergency medical services personnel
- Children and young adults from 6 months through 24 years
- Persons aged 25 through 64 years who have medical conditions that place them at high risk for complications from influenza.
Providers will be asked to report to HDOH all novel H1N1 influenza vaccinations administered. Methods of reporting would include EITHER:
- Electronically, via a straightforward secure H1N1 website that will be stored in the state immunization information system (Hawaii Immunization Registry [HIR])
- Manually, via paper form - “Novel H1N1 Vaccination Record”
Note that initial discussions with insurance providers nationally and locally suggest that providers may be able to charge an administrative fee that would be covered by insurance. Details are still being discussed and determined, and further information will be provided when available.
To pre-register for this program, healthcare providers will need to provide HDOH with:
- Contact information (provider name, shipping address, phone, fax, email, contact person, hours of operation for receiving shipments, etc.)
- An estimate of the total numberof patients served by your practice:
_____ <24 years _____ 25 - 64 years _____ >65 years
- An estimate of your vaccine storage capacity (35° – 46° F) in cubic inches(length x width x height):
L (in) = _____ W (in) = _____ H (in) = _____
- Medical license number (HDOH will ensure that all participating providers have active licenses in good standing in the State of Hawaii)
- Reporting preference (either HIR or paper forms)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is currently drafting a Provider Agreement that will specify the requirements for the use of the federally purchased novel H1N1 influenza vaccine. Further details, including information regarding vaccine ordering, will be forthcoming. Pre-registered providers will receive their updates via email.
Please strongly consider pre-registering as a novel H1N1 influenza vaccine provider now so you can ensure that your patients are protected through vaccination. We look forward to our ongoing collaboration with you to protect the health of the people of Hawai‘i.